Wednesday, June 09, 2010

When God Promises

Leaving Jerusalem University College for Tel-Aviv (to fly home), so many thoughts raced through my mind. The main question I had was: what had been accomplished in me? In what ways was I different than I was three weeks ago when I arrived in Jerusalem? Are these differences beneficial for God’s kingdom? Had I taken opportunities to glorify God? Had I passed many up? How can I go on being a good steward with the experiences and knowledge I have?

I tried to think of other times I had been as expectant and deeply concerned with being equipped for serving the Lord as I currently was – my heart sank. I couldn’t think of any. I could, however, think of many times when I was being equipped but ignorantly refused further filling because I was not boldly convinced of the reality of God’s promises, of their immediate and active nature through the Holy Spirit, and of their assurance in Christ Jesus.

In this, I saw one small fraction of how the trip to Israel changed me. It was by experiencing the regret and imagining the extreme cost of passive belief in the Scriptures. Oh, and all of this happened on a bus. All of this - and many more questions and discoveries and feelings and anticipation and cries of my heart - came sort of reeling through my brain on our ride to the airport.

These words came to mind, (Philippians 1:6) “He that began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.”

This is when I looked out the window…
There was a rainbow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Philippians 1:6.

Such a powerful promise. Thank you for sharing this on here - I found myself pondering some of these same questions about a month ago right when I had finished freshman year and was about to move back home for the summer.

Philippians 1:6 is my life verse - and that was ultimately what gave me peace too.

jsi said...

God is an amazing Completer, finishing many works within us. He is working through you and in you and among those around you and sometimes, even despite what you place in the way. Pray with your hands and arms open, asking God to fill them with the places, people, circumstances, thoughts, actions, intentions that He would bring to you. He will show You His way, His Will, His activity...you shine brightly with Christ's love.