Saturday, June 05, 2010

This is God's land

When I walk to the different places that Jesus has previously walked (in some cases I have been able to walk on the very surface that Jesus walked on!), there is one consistent thought running through my mind.

As I have been walking through God's land, He has spoken volumes of encouragement to me! The Lord has shown me His love as I walk through His land. Through other people - God has been working inside of me! It is an extreme understatement to say that I will never be the same because of the transformation the Creator has initiated in my life - walking in His land.

Science is confusing for me to read. Electrical currents and other things that do not meet the eye - I get that its real, but it doesn't make sense. When I see science experiments or exhibits (like the electric ball that makes your hair stand on end!!) though, it helps me to understand in realistic terms how all of the scientific explanations and stuff are truly real and accurate, etc.

I am not equating God with science. Science has nothing to do with what I want to say. Focus on the process of transformation my understanding undertook. This is what it is like for me when I know the Scriptures and then walk in God's land.

Okay, so before I go any further, I need to explain my thoughts coming to Israel. So many people had mentioned that it was their dream to come to Israel - and that I am very fortunate! I agree. I realize that not many people get the opportunity to walk the streets or walls of the Old City, and I also realize how everyone keeps telling me that I will never be the same again. Putting two and two together, it appears that there is some vital change of heart that happens visiting the place where Jesus lived. I did not believe this conception, and still think it is a terrible misunderstanding. (Just to say - I do not think that this is what anyone meant by saying to me, "You won't be the same," but I think many people do take it that way.)

I spoke earlier about the blessings I have received while living in Canton Ohio - I called it God's land because it is God's land. I am blessed ten-fold with the people He has placed in my life and the opportunities, etc. About my personal experience in Jerusalem so far: I see rocks and stones and walls and roads and palaces that are ancient and so awesome to see, as I am so interested in seeing any such ancient places. Don't get me wrong - being in this land I have been given many different opportunities to have an improved understanding or outlook of the scriptures and of the life and work of Jesus. The great problem I see with American Christian's desire to come here is...well let me say it like this: It is quite ridiculous to hold high respect for the ground on which Jesus walked when we do not take the commands seriously to look for the good of our neighbors and enemies as we look out for our own good.

On a practical note, think about it this way: My grandfather died when I was 10. I miss him more than ever. I remember seeing some things he had made as gifts before he died. Never did I consider the carpet on which he walked to have been acknowledging his love for others - nor did I experience any type of comfort being on the carpet he had walked on. The gifts he made, however, are concrete evidence of his love for people - and nobody can deny it. Likewise, God created the heavens and the earth. In fact, He created you and I as well. During the time of the Old Testament Law, the Temple was where God resided. We are the temple now.

Do not restrict God from tweaking your mind and your heart to be aligned with His. You are as near to Him now as ever, and as near as you can be! Where do you live? Where are you sitting or standing at this moment? That place is God's land. Live likewise. :)

No comments: