Thursday, June 24, 2010

Come Se Dicce…

What a day! There continues to be difficulty communicating with people here in Italy, but today I actually experienced blessings because of the language barrier. Realize, please, how it does take some effort in order to communicate words and meanings between languages. Tonight we had an outdoor church service – we sang songs, did a sketch (house built on sand, house built on rock), Steph gave her testimony, and Emma preached. Following the service, we went to a barbeque at one of the family’s home from the corps. It was the best time I have had in Italy yet, possibly. Without exaggerating, I can honestly say that I have never eaten so much in my life. On my second helping of salad, one man exclaimed, “Americani no eat much food, but you (to Josh, Emmanuel and I) eat much food!” This was when I decided I wasn’t going to stop. For me at the barbeque tonight, it sometimes seemed like we really weren’t going to stop eating. It was wonderful!

Earlier today, we had a little bit of down time – I had the chance to look up some Scripture and reflect on it. The first was 1 Peter 5:6-7. I noticed an interesting connection between these verses that is hidden. You see, verse 6 advises us to ‘humble’ ourselves under the strength of the LORD, I believe it says. See that you understand – it is us doing the ‘humbling’ and it specifically says ‘under God,’ it does not mean humility in everyday life with family and friends. He is saying, essentially, “Dude, realize how small you are in comparison to God. No, but for real, you need to imagine all that you are capable of; also, think of all that God is capable of. Know and see His ultimate power next to your tininess.”

Now check out verse 7, “Cast your anxieties on Him, for He cares for you!” Of course, the author just emphasized the infinite power and ability of God to work. He just pumped us up about the infinite power of God! This is the left hook – this all powerful God cares so much for us, and we can cast our worries and such on Him. Know the reality of these verses. Find the heart in the verse.

Shalom for now!

No comments: