Wednesday, January 06, 2016

The Love of God


When God seeks our hearts to know whether or not we truly love Him, I believe He asks these two questions:

          1. "Are you loving me?"
          2. "Are you receiving my love?"

God wants to be accepted by us as the father and savior of our lives. This is His identity and it brings Him joy when we receive His love and acknowledge/appreciate Him for who He is (Psalm 91:14).

As I search my heart and its intentions, I feel helpless because...

- I will never be capable of loving God as well as He deserves to be loved.
- (even worse...) I haven't even been loving God as well as I can. I fall shorter than short.

It is by accepting God’s perfect love for me (which perfects me) that I can love Him. By His grace alone do I love Him. God sure has shown me how inadequate I am to properly love Him. But He showed me this so that I might better understand His love for me. The beauty of God’s love is that it makes my life unfair in this way:

I am not able to love God as well as He deserves. And yet...
     -In His great mercy, He accepts me as His own.
     -In His amazing grace, He treats (loves) me as His own as well.

The love that God has for me is made evident in the life of Jesus because of the fact that I was still a sinner when He insisted on dying for me (Romans 5:8).

No comments: