Sunday, April 05, 2009

Just thinking (about consistency in its relation to exclusivity/having a focused concentration)

What am I trying to say?
1) We will be very effective in prayer if we pray throughout the day - if we pray with consistency.
2) Our prayer life will be more effective, still, if we set aside time to pray with no distractions.

Here's how I understand it...
When I am in the process of trying to memorize lines for drama, sometimes I try and memorize them while I am on the go. When I'm driving, for instance, I will try and recite my lines and remember them. In memorizing my lines, this kind of consistency is very important. BUT when I set aside the time to memorize and practice my lines in my room with no distractions, I get it done so much quicker and I even begin to act out my role, not just know the lines. It is so helpful to be reciting my lines throughout the day, but setting aside time to memorize lines is so much more effective, and it makes the times I recite in the car to be much more effective as well.

Now here's the kick to my stomache that got me today:
When I'm driving, I pray alot. And when I'm on facebook, sometimes I will pray. I am pretty consistent in praying throughout my day, and I'm sure that is a great thing and all, but how more effective could my prayer life be if I would simply set aside time to pray without distractions? Only when you seclude yourself from the world and come before God with NOTHING ELSE on your schedule for that particular moment will you find the necessity of focused and concentrated prayer. You will also find the uncomfortable convictions of the heart and challenging of the Spirit.

Remind me, if you know, the man who once said "I begin my day in prayer for TWO hours except for the days that I am extremely busy, in that case, I begin my day in prayer for THREE hours."

I do not feel that any more needs to be said. Be challenged today. Pray to the Lord with me.

Don't forget...
1) We will be very effective in prayer if we pray throughout the day - if we pray with consistency.
2) Our prayer life will be more effective, still, if we set aside time to pray with no distractions.

Digging deeper
I'm being redundant in this statement on purpose: "having a focused cocentration." There's a difference (in my mind) between having a focus and having a focused concentration.

Having a focus: I find to be setting aside the time to pray, focusing your time to pray and not to be distracted while you are praying.
Having a focused concentration: This means, to me, to focus on more than just being in 'prayer mode.' It means to focus (1) on your prayer and (2) on the intentions of your heart in praying.

(For instance: When you ask God to give you a good day, what is your intent? What do you expect? Do you assume that God will answer your prayer by making your day comfortable for you? Do you assume that God would answer your prayer by helping His will to be done in you - no matter how painful it is for you? In having a focused concentration, you will acknowledge the actual prayer that you pray, and the intentions of your heart in praying it.)

No comments: