Friday, January 09, 2009

faith, trust, and believing in God's promises

James 1:2 talks about how we should have joy in times of trials 'of many kinds.' Verse 3 continues with the words "because you know."

In verse two, what question do you think James is trying to answer? I can imagine the dialogue going something like this...

James: "Consider it nothing but joy, brothers, when you face trials and hard times of many kinds."

(Because James is speaking to other Christians, I think they would assume 'why' they should consider it joy. It is natural assumption of a Christian to do ANYTHING for the glory of God.)

People: How?

James: Have trust in God and faith in the truth that you know.
(You already know "that the testing of your faith develops perserverance.." You can have joy in any circumstance when you BELIEVE in the hope that Christ brings you.)


Think of the things God has promised you..

Psalm 91:1: "Those who dwell in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." - If you are one to dwell in the Word of the Lord, and in Prayer, than He promises that you will rest in 'His shadow!' Trust in His promise!

Psalm 125:1 "The Lord's people are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever." - If you take hold of the new life Christ offers you, than the only harm that may come upon you is to your body, which has no effect on your spirit. That is, if you BELIEVE that God will keep His promise.

Jeremiah 29:11-14a "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me, and will come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you,' declares the Lord."

You will never cease to have purpose on this earth, Heavenly purpose, if you Trust in the Lord, and have faith that He will keep His promises.

No comments: