Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"The Christmas Season"

This time of year within the Salvation Army can get so stressful. Its sad knowing even as an organization working in light of God, and to serve God, we can get sidetracked so easily. Kettles may not going very smoothly, you haven't eaten dinner yet, and with how busy you already are you still need to prepare a sermon for sunday. It can be very hard going about life like this.

I've been working kettles so much! And life itself seems to be so overwhelming. Lately I've been trying to buy gifts for my family and friends, yet I want to work kettles to help out the corps while practicing my guitar for the new praise-band and having to put aside yet more time to meet with the group, trying to memorize and practice a monologue for January and having to eat, sleep and relax in between. I really want to do all of these things, they are all very important to me, but it can get so hectic trying to get it all done ya know?

I said "this time of year" on purpose instead of the Christmas season. When this time of year comes around, I don't know about you but I tend to lose the thought of Christmas. What I think when I hear Christmas now is bellringing, shopping for loved ones etc. Alot of people, including me, hate the thought of target and many others saying happy holidays, taking Christ out of Christmas. But what we fail to see is that we also tend to take Christ out of Christmas. With kettles and visiting family and work and all sorts of stuff. Although it is wonderful to help the needy that they also may have a blessed "Christmas day" and it is also nice to give presents to the people you love, it still is not the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas Day represents Christ's birthday, the day Almighty God became man, knowing that 32 or so years later He would have suffered the ultimate penalty for our sins. Yes, He loves us that much. This is actually what Christmas is all about! Can you imagine how it's evolved? I mean what would it be like to have an extra long church service on Christmas day instead of exchanging gifts. And though many do not admit it, its become alot about the presents. Maybe not for yourself, but it is. I mean how miserable would an average person be if on Christmas Day they neither recieved nor gave away a gift? Pretty miserable I would think.

Although it is sweet seeing the look on your childerens face when they see the new (SHINY) bike in the living room, or that certain something they have asked for, for a long time. It still isn't what Christmas is about. It is simply, all about Christ. For this Christmas Season and the ones to come, I pray that I can stay focused on God, not myself or even others. Just Him.
I'm coming back to the heart of Christmas, and it's all about Him.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I am amazed at you EVERYtime I read your posts.